Friday, July 22, 2005

The Windows Vista: coming soon to a car dealership near you

Brian Valentine
If Blogger had categories, this would be filed under "Cheap Shots". Or maybe "Everybody's an Expert". Still, I can't help myself...

"Windows Vista" is the official name for code base formerly known as Longhorn (Microsoft announcement). The tag line is "Clear, Confident, Connected: Bringing Clarity to your World".

Huh?

I don't look to an operating system to help me "cut through the clutter and focus on what's important", which is what Clear seems to refer to. I suppose the Confident is trying to resonate with the Trustworthy Computing message, and persuade people that Windows is more secure than the alternatives. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that CIOs are using Firefox because it's thought to be more secure than IE. As for Connected: well, we're celebrating the tenth anniversary of the Internet right now, so it'll be very topical in 2006.

The name reminds me of faded car brands: the Ford Pinto, the Chrysler Volare, the Chevrolet Nova, the Buick Regal. So: would you buy a used car from that man?

No comments: