Saturday, August 16, 2003

I don't love technology. It fascinates me from time to time, but for its cleverness - nothing more. I'm surrounded by people who have (or affect) a passion for technology. It seems one needs to believe that technology will change the world for the better. I am persuaded that it does, on balance; however, believing that technology is intrinsically good is naive.

I do have a passion for creativity, though. It is evident just looking at the world that somehow humans have figured out alchemy. We can turn base metals into gold. We live longer and better than ever before. Few people would want to move to any time in the past. I wish I knew how this happens. It has something to do with invention; new ways to do things make the world better. At least, they create affluence and reduce pain. The Bessemer steel conversion process, anaesthetics, the wheel; once they've appeared, the world isn't the same again.

No comments: